Sala, Salac, Les Salles.
"Salle" : rural house with a reception's room.
"Salle" : borough where there were several houses with a reception's room.
Perhaps from german "Saal" : room, castle
(see 3 towers of its coat of arms).
According to Fluse, the names of the localities including "Sala" (= torrent, mountain stream in old french) indicate agglomerations built close to a river.
To know when "Les Salles" became "Les Salles-sur-Verdon", click here.
(french version for the moment)
At the beginning of the XII th century, Les Salles belongs to the Moustiers family which is still present in the middle of the XIII th.
In 1371, the bishop of Riez has jurisdiction there.
In 1380 exists a 2 monks' priory, dependent on Marseilles' Saint Victor. This abbey still exists before the Revolution.
At the beginning of the XIV th century,
there are 200 inhabitants in Les Salles,
there are 300 in 1765 and 460 in 1851.
(from "Monographie des Salles-sur-Verdon", told by M. Simian François,
retired teacher of the Les Salles-sur-Verdon's Elementary School)
According to Gabriel-Henri Blanc, who considered the History of the Provence's villages,
Les Salles' inhabitants (called "lei Salen" in the old Provence's language)
received the nickname "flat-snails-eaters" ("lei manjo-platello").